Tuesday, January 4, 2011

To Re-Gift or Not to Re-Gift?

So, the holidays are over and most of us (and by "us" I don't actually mean me) have put away our trees and decorations. I realized that I didn't hear a lot this year about re-gifting for the holidays and am wondering if it means it's so commonplace now that there's nothing to talk about anymore?


Here's my stance: I will absolutely re-gift an item if it's something I would have paid money for anyway and something that the recipient can use or would like. I received a watermelon scented holiday candle for a hostess gift a few years ago and it went right in the trash as soon as the guests left. I didn't care for it and it was not something I wanted to put my name on. I know, that probably sounds bad, but tastes differ and this was not a good gift for me. I still sent a thank you note, of course, as the sentiment behind the gift was the important thing.

(image via Conran Shop)

Because of the blog and all the events I attend, I regularly receive small items and samples that I may or may not be able to use myself. I usually tuck these away and pass along as gifts when appropriate. I have allergies, so usually I have to pass along all scented soaps,  hand lotions and candles.

(a Salvation Army find that I eventually gave a friend)

Another source of my gift giving can simply be my own overloaded shelves and closets. While I recently did a big purge of my home, I still have lots of items that I've purchased in vintage shops or yard sales. This Christmas, I gave each of my nieces mini silver champagne buckets that I bought at an antique store several years ago. I've used them as plant holders and decorations in my house over the years, but it felt right to pass the along at this time. I hope they liked them! I also gave one niece a beautiful silver leaf candle holder that I'd been given at an event and the other received a crystal olive dish that I purchased. I felt like this collection of items represented my taste well and could help start them off with some beautiful items as they are establishing their own first apartments. I gave my brother and sister-in-law a pair of oversized martini glasses from my collection as well as passing along a chrome martini shaker I'd lifted from our parents house not long ago. As I told him, the shaker wasn't really a gift as it wasn't mine to give. But I thought he'd like it as a nice reminder of our dad.  It's shaped like a fire extinguisher and plays "How Dry I Am" when it's picked up - very amusing. (I found this one online at an antiques site. It's not the same as ours isn't a decanter, but it had to have been made by the same company).


So, the question is - do you re-gift and do you have "house rules" for re-gifting? And, if you've received a gift that you suspect was a re-gift, does it bother you?

If you would like my help on your design project, I would love to chat with you! Please email me. Thanks!

 Subscribe to ::Surroundings::

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner