Thursday, March 19, 2009

Do you know where I can find....?

I often receive email inquiries (and sometimes even phone calls) requesting information about a specific blog post I've done - do I have additional information on some aspect of a design, for instance - this request from a reader who is searching out information in piece of art used in the movie "The Parent Trap". And, of course, there are many inquiries about the set decor in the movie Something's Gotta Give based on my posts here and here - always a popular topic!

But, I also sometimes receive inquiries about products or topics I've never posted on, which results in some time spent searching in the internet for answers. I do like the search process, however. It's like solving a little mystery and as every blogger knows, one link leads to another and who knows what kind of interesting idea for a post will come out of it.

This week I received the following inquiry:
I am looking for the circular sectional sofa that was in Domain home Fall collection august 6,2007 issue. Does it come in white or off white color and what company can i purchase the sofa. What is the price also.

Now, a little part of me was tempted to just reply back that I had no idea, sorry. But, we wouldn't be blogging if we weren't willing to do research and provide free information with little chance of profiting from the work - so I thought, it's a challenge, what can I find out.

First, I went to the Domain Home website and searched through their sofas and came to the Pearson 3 piece curved sectional.

Domain, a Massachusetts based furniture company founded by Judy George, has gone bankrupt and their stores are now closed. Their website is still up, however, But, this sofa is listed as only being available in stores. Kind of a dead-end. Meanwhile, once I saw the image, I remembered the catalogue because I really liked this sofa!

OK, so, here I am with the image of a sofa that can no longer be purchased through the company. What to do? Well, we go to Google Images and search on various key words: curved sofa, round sofa, and half circle sofa - and after looking at about 2000 images, I finally came to this image:

From this website. Now, this is a very close match. The only difference I see is that the back legs are thinner.

This sofa is the Eero Half Circle Sectional Sofa by Rowe. Rowe sells to stores all across the country, so I then googled Eero Half Circle Sectional Sofa by Rowe which led me to pages of stores around the country which sell this sofa.

This is the information I sent to the person seeking the Domain sofa. Since I didn't know where she lives, I figured she could take it from there. I haven't heard [yet] if she's had any luck, but hopefully will hear something soon.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this as I thought someone might find the information useful.

Interestingly, during this search, I found an image of this sofa below. Heller Furniture had been asked to provide a price to make this very piece for a designer who was doing a hotel. The firm hadn't sent Heller this nice photo - they'd received a poor fax. Too bad we didn't try googling it for this nice, clear image - it would have made things much easier!




Subscribe to ::Surroundings::

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner