Sunday, August 7, 2011

I'm still here, really!


I think the last two weeks went by in a total blur since I published my latest issue of my magazine. I got a lot of great feedback about the cover shot by Michael J. Lee and I have to say, I enjoy looking at it myself when I'm working away in my office!


Speaking of work,  I bought myself a new iMac with a gorgeous 21" screen! It is amazing. I've been working on a 13" MacBook for years. This big screen is just a whole new world!



There's been a bit of a work boom over the last couple of months, which is why I haven't been able to post as much here on ::Surroundings:: or over at The Skirted Roundtable. I've been thrilled with all the fun new projects, but also swamped just getting everything done! The projects range in size. I've been advising a very handy DIY young couple on the makeover of their living room, including new cabinetry and furnishings. They are just going to town and it's looking great. I'm also working on a retirement vacation home and a completely empty new construction home for a family chomping at the bit to move in. And, for the last five weeks, I was working on a family vacation beach house which included a full new kitchen, bathroom renovation, and redecoration of the rest of the first floor living spaces. I was so excited about the project, which I profiled in my last magazine issue.


As you may have noticed, I am speaking of the project in the past tense. Unfortunately, after getting the project about 95% designed, with hours to go before the clients were to lay down deposits for the cabinets and contractor, etc, a newly renovated beach house came on the market near them. They put in an offer and they are now under contract. And, such is the up and down nature of this business.  While I was going to be creating a fabulous new space for their enjoyment (they are only in the States for 2 months each summer) our plans couldn't give them the 4th bedroom and 2nd full bathroom they really needed. And the new house did that and more. I can't blame them, it's just fate and timing. I was compensated well for the design and planning phase. But, aside from compensation, I am just sad that I won't see the plan come to life. They may need help with decorating in their new house, but it won't need the scope of work this current house did and besides, they are gone until next year. So, story to be continued on that score, I guess.  More time for the other clients!

On a fun note, I went to a Craig Ferguson show last week in Boston. He's the host of the Late Late Show, which comes on after David Letterman (yes, I am a night owl). I'll admit to a total school-girl crush on Craig - he's tall, handsome, talented, intelligent, funny - and has a fantastic Scottish accent. Swoon. I was sitting right at the apron of the stage on the front row. He had just walked out on stage and someone thrust a copy of one of his books at him to sign. He graciously did so, but then read his inscription out loud, which said something like "Dear Mary, Please don't ever interrupt me when I'm doing my show again. Love, Craig".  Last week he broadcast a week of shows he shot in Paris - which included funny bits like sliding on the parquet floors in the Hall of Mirrors at Versailles and smart bits like the social customs of life in King Louis' court. I could go on and on and... le sigh.

I also wanted to share some links to articles I've written and been quoted in recently. I was interviewed for an article about wall-to-wall carpeting by an AP reporter that has showed up in many different publications, which you can see here.


And have been writing posts for Williams Sonoma's Designer Marketplace blog.


They have also featured posts by Tobie Fairly, Jay Johnson, Melissa Michaels and Robin Callan. You can see the list of all the great posts about the interior design biz here. And my most recent article is called "Design Trade Shows, Which Ones Are Worth It"

I wrote a recent article called Setting a Table Like A Design Pro which you can see over at Networx. There is also an article on Light Fixtures Inspired by Nature which you might enjoy as well.


Shortly to come this week is an insider's view on House Beautiful's Kitchen of the Year by my regular contributor Lori Dolnick. Post to come in a day or so. 

Okay, that's it for the moment. How are you doing? Vacation plans? I have nothing planned in August, aside from a few birthday celebrations strewn throughout the month.



If you would like my help on your design project, I would love to chat with you! Please email me. Thanks!
 Subscribe to ::Surroundings::

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner