Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Can You Smell the Incense?

Mark Chagall windows, Cathedral of Reims, France depicting Abraham and Christ

Tonight, people all over the world are celebrating Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday). For believers, this is the day to get "it" all out of our systems prior to the long and sober forty days of Lent that starts tomorrow. I've written before how much I love a church conversion and I thought pulling together a little showcase of some beautiful church conversions would be a nice way for me to kick off the Lenten season.

In London's Kensal Green, via AngloFiles

One thing is clear, living in a converted church certainly means getting used to large, wide open spaces. Space planning in order to bring the volume down to human scale is of the utmost importance.


Contemplation with bubbles? Yeah, I'd go there.

There is an interesting use of space in this Northumberland, England (via SwipeLife) conversion. The long table brings to mind a church school or rectory table. However, the master bed is placed shrine-like on the alter.

This is a pretty spectacular modern update of a classic form, located in the Netherlands, renovated by Zecc Architects,  The whitewashed wall highlights the vaulted ceilings and black iron and stained glass windows   Via Knstrct.

So, could you ever imagine living in a converted church? Would you feel like you're being "watched" and feel the need to speak in hushed tones? Or would the architectural interest rule the day?


I came across the following church restoration project in my research and just had to share. It's still a church, but I must say, the modern with the ancient combined with simplicity and splash really brings out the old school Catholic in me. This place truly "breaths" the Divine. Czech designer's Maxim Velcovsky and Jakub Berdych has redesigned the interior of St. Bartholemew's church in Chodovice in Eastern Bohemia. via Dezeen


Love the use of the Verner Panton chairs with the cross stamped out (rumor is that they voided their Vitra warranty by stamping out the crosses as it might have tampered with the structural integrity of the chair). I believe that this is a Catholic church (maybe Eastern Orthodox?) and it's a little surprising that there are no kneelers, so I assume that the cushions are for both sitting and kneeling on as needed.  The alter at the far end is a mix of modern Eames chairs in front of a high Baroque altar and Tabernacle.




What do you think of the ancient and mod mix?  Sacred or sacrilege?

If you would like my help on your design project, I would love to chat with you! Please email me. Thanks!

 Subscribe to ::Surroundings::

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner