Sunday, March 21, 2010

What do designers look for in a sink or faucet?




Contributed by Lori Dolnick

To the average homeowner – a sink or faucet may look like – well – just a sink or faucet. But there’s so much more to know. Here are a few quick tips from real kitchen design experts on what they look for when selecting a sink or faucet and what’s important.


Outstanding Trend Point: While you expect designers to go for “look” first, they really came out strong for durability, quality and material as the most important considerations. “Pay More!” seemed to be nearly an anthem. Trust the designers to know – they are the ones who get to replace lesser products that don’t last.

The kitchen sink below is a BLANCO and was used in a recent project by Cheryl Kees Clendenon, owner/designer In Detail Kitchen and Bath, Pensacola, Florida

1. The Sink Fits The Project
“I want the sink to fit the project. I do not have a one-size-fits-all sink in mind when I design,” says Cheryl Kees Clendenon, owner/designer In Detail Kitchen and Bath, Pensacola, Florida. Cheryl likes the deeper 10” or more sinks. “I can tell you what I think is a ridiculous size, the sinks where you have the tiny bowl on one side that is quite shallow. I think this is nuts because people put their disposal on the shallow small side,” comments Clendenon.

2. Accessories
According to designers, like Cheryl Kees Clendenon, sink grids for protecting stainless are a must!!

3. Pay a little more
“As far as product selections go, I think you truly get what you pay for when it comes to faucets,” states Nick Bajzek, The Product Guy (product editor for Professional Builder, Professional Remodeler and Custom Builder magazines). Spend a little extra and go for a higher-end model, one with a quality cartridge. You generally won’t have to worry about leaks or wearing out the knobs like you would with a cheap faucet.”

4. Material Matters
“What I look for when I’m specifying a sink is the material,” states Paul Anater, blogger and designer at http://www.kitchenandresidentialdesign.com/. “I have a strong preference for stainless steel, so that’s where I go first. Once I have a client sold on stainless I look for a single bowl, large sink. If I have the budget, I spec flat-bottomed sinks because I think they look better. If I can’t afford a flat bottom, I then look for the heaviest gauge steel I can find that will fit into my budget. Once I have my sink options narrowed down, I then look for other features such as accessories. Brand name doesn’t figure into it nearly as much as quality and I never shop by price. I set a budget for my clients and then we go find the best we can find in that budget. BLANCO rises to the top in many cases I’m pleased to report.”

5. Durability Now! Painless Later.
“When I’m asked to consult on which kitchen sink a client should choose I usually suggest they go for excellent durability and great looks,” says Gerry Snapke of CadKitchenPlans.com. “It’s no secret that the drop in sink has been out of favor in the kitchen for many years now. Under mount sinks and farmhouse apron fronts make up the bulk of styles popular with consumers and they look great. But consider what replacing one of these sinks involves. If it’s an under mount style replacement is difficult without replacing or at least doing major damage to the existing countertop. Farmhouse sinks pose a similar replacement challenge and often times involve cabinet modification as well. Bottom line here… pick a sink that you know will last for many years and avoid the pain of replacement costs.”

Contributed by Lori Dolnick


See all Lori's posts here.


 Subscribe to ::Surroundings::

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner