Saturday, March 13, 2010

Cooking in Boston


I saw this listing about a television show who is looking for a kitchen designer in Boston for a new production I'm not really sure how legit it is, but it got me thinking about kitchen design and I started perusing the sale listings of Boston condos and thought I'd share a few. If you're not from this area, or one of the major metropolitan areas of the country, you'll likely be a little shocked at the prices. Yes, Boston real estate is expensive. And the kitchens tend to be tiny, even in larger units.  Nearly all (or possibly even 100%?) downtown Boston properties are condo/townhouses.  As you'll see, there is no one "look" that says Boston.  We have modern sleek, traditional elegance, and out of date 80's. It's a mixed bag.


Burrough's Wharf $665K - $7.5M - on the waterfront. While the kitchen is small, it's packed with a lot of pizazz. The tile "rug" on the floor and mosaic tile back splash behind the under mount sinks draw the eye in and then up. And I love the clean cabinet front appliances - a great choice in a tiny space.
$1.34M on Commonwealth Ave, Back Bay. At maybe 12-15" wide than the kitchen above, this one also employs the cabinet fronted appliances for a cleaner look. I would prefer a subtler hardware on the cabinety but the stainless hood and diagonal tile back splash are showstoppers.
$1.499M on Boston Street, Back Bay. I love the mirrored backplash and simplicity of the cabinet design, although the black knobs are a bit distracting.
$2.1M on Commonwealth Ave, Back Bay. Loving this all white kitchen with crystal cabinet hardware and small white chandi - so pretty! There is an amazing amount of storage in this kitchen too.
$2.64M on Beacon Street in Back Bay. This looks to be a real cooks kitchen which is hard to find in a condo/townhouse space and the island is one huge piece of granite. I'm not sure what floor this was on, but it must have been a doozy to install!
$4.495 on Boylston Street, Back Bay. Although modern isn't totally my thing, I do love the mixed materials used in this kitchen. It's very sparkly! This kitchen uses the same stainless rod hardware on the laminated cabinets, which I think works here, unlike the $1.34M kitchen above.
$5.3M on Commonwealth Ave, Back Bay. This is another relatively small kitchen, especially for the pricetag of the property - ah city living.  I think the wallpaper really makes the space look dated, but the white cabinets and marble countertops are classics. 
 
$5.9M on Marlborough Street in the Back Bay. And, of course, the kitchen that comes with the biggest price tag is my favorite. Unlike the $5.3M kitchen, the wallpaper in this space looks fresh and more timless to me. The kitchen itself is actually very small, but the fireplaced eating area is so charming, as is the steel chandelier.


A Penthouse condo I designed on Beacon Street in the Back Bay a few years ago which was recently sold for $700+. This client was a single man - who sold it to another single man. This condo has the caché of being in the building right next to Tom and Gisele and their new baby.  It's another small space, but feels much larger once we opened it up to the main living area. Simple dark stained cherry cabinets and butterfly verde countertops and backslash made a big statement.


Sorry to have been so short on blog posts recently. I have several new design projects going - yay! PLUS, I've been working on a total re-branding of my business.  PLUS - I'll be delivering a series of seminars on social networking over the next month or so. More to come on all of that. But for now,  enjoy my little "Cooking in Boston" tour and have a great weekend!



 Subscribe to ::Surroundings::

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner