Monday, March 22, 2010

Dining by Design New York 2010


I attended the Architectural Digest Home Design Show last Thursday and spent five glorious hours perusing the stands, exhibits and the always exception Dining By Design event, which was being held concurrently with the AD Show.

Dining By Design is the signature fundraising event for DIFFA (Design Industries For Fighting Aids), a national event that takes place all over the country. It's not a touring event, each host city mounts its own show with local designers and a local AIDS care related sponsoring organization. A very dear friend of mine died 20 years ago next month of AIDS before there were many of these types of organizations or the public acceptance of those with HIV/AIDS, so it's a cause near and dear to my heart.

The New York show was amazing, let me just say. My pal Rob came with me and he wasn't overly excited at the prospect of a bunch of dining table settings, but his mind was certainly changed here!

I hope you enjoy my photo tour. I recommend clicking the images for larger, more detailed, views.

This red table was very hard to photograph - but truly dramatic!

The New York Times.  Ann Marie Desalvo designs.


The mix of chairs and upholstered walls were the standouts here.
Architectural Digest. Design by Moore & Giles.


We thought all the ribbons, including the Blue Ribbon on the table was a cute touch.
Ralph Lauren Home

I loved this Kravet space with all the fabrics and colors. All the chairs could be slid completely under the table.
Kravet, Inc.

This table had great ambiance and I loved the table top detail (2nd pic)
Bradley Stephens

Bradley Stephens

Goil Amornvivat of Top Design Season 1 did this "telephone" table. Cute! Goil sent me this pic - mine was no where near as good!

Goil Amornvivat and Thomas Morbitzer for Tug Studios. Photo courtesy of Tug Studios.

I loved the small crystals hanging amidst the streamers. Some kind of lighted monofiliment mixed in would have been really cool.
Eric Warner for Aesthete. Ltd.

This Disney table had a lot of cute Disney charachter references, but none managed to show up in the photo.
Cappellini and Walt Disney Signature


Jesgordon/Properfun

There was a whole section of New York design student tables, which were fabulous and I loved that they were part of the show.
Students of Pratt Institute. Mentor: Marc Blackwell

This was one of my favorite tables, for the execution of the wall treatment. The visual detailing was amazing.
Students of New York School of Interior Design. Mentor: Michael Tavano


Students of School of Visual Arts. Mentor: Miles Redd


Students of NYU: Tisch School of the Arts Drama Dept. Mentor: David Rockwell

And here was another amazing wall and ceiling treatment. Kind of reminded me of a Robert Sabuda pop-up book.
Students of Fashion Institute of Technology. Mentor: David Stark

The Poggenpohl table was much more beautiful in person.
MMPI designed by Poggenpohl with Harry J. Danielle

I loved the table top, but didn't like that the benches (not shown) said "Artistic Tile" on each one. Seemed a little advertising overkill.
Artistic Tile by Vicente Wolf, VW Home

Fab.

Marc Blackwell New York

I don't remember taking this photo, but I love it!
Carini Lang. Design by Joseph Carini

This design didn't really read well in person or in the photo.  I think the table was too bright for the dimly lit space and the contrast too great.
Razortoothdesign

Loved the the New York Design Center had a bloggers table. So much fun and met Laura Newman of the Publicity Wit, who had interviewed me a couple of months ago.

 
New York Design Center

This was one of my favorites for it's fantasy appeal.
Continental Airlines. Design by David Beahm Design


I also like this techno table by Benjamin Moore. While very commercial, it was still witty and well done.
Benjamin Moore. Design by David Stark

And loved the "iPod" candelabra!



All photos by Linda Merrill except where noted.







 Subscribe to ::Surroundings::

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner