Monday, May 11, 2009

Antiquing at home

I wrote yesterday that my Mom and I did a little Mother's Day antiquing. We were visiting the Sandwich Antiques Center and oogling the estate jewelry and various silver pieces. There were a few sets of mother-of-pearl and silver knives and Mom mentioned that she had such a set - although the pearl handles were cracked and not in good shape. I have a vague recollection of these as well. Once we got home, I started rooting around in her dining room buffet and found this amazing set of twelve mother of pearl and silverplate luncheon knives - in near perfect condition! How excited was I!!!!

These were wedding gifts given to my Mother's paternal Grandparents - in 1895! They were purchased from Bigelow, Kennard & Co. - a 19th and early 20th Century Boston silversmith. The knives themselves are stamped England on one side and have a makers' mark or date mark that I am still researching.


It looks like the stamps are the initials J H F. There are no other stamped images. The letters appear to match the London date stamps from the period of the middle of the 19th century (1840's). Or, they could be the makers' initials (or some combination thereof). It's still a mystery but what I do know is they are now mine!


I can't wait to host a brunch or luncheon - won't these be so pretty on the table?


Subscribe to ::Surroundings::

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner