Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Virtual Decorating: Uganda Calling

I've been meaning to share a design project that I worked on a couple of months ago, and finally!, I am getting around to it! I've mentioned before that I offer a "Virtual" decorating service. I offer consulting services via phone consultations or email and the power of Photoshop!


I recently did an inspiration board plan for a lovely woman who lives in Uganda! She had seen a write up about my services in a magazine there and contacted me via email to see if I could offer some inspiration for her family room. While the weather is normally quite warm in her country, she still wanted a warm, "Autumn" palette for the space. In addition to asking questions about her lifestyle and family, I also asked her to send me images of art or photography that said "Autumn" to her. She sent along the two beautiful images above - I just loved the colors!. I put together a color story with paint chips (in this case Sherwin Williams). One thing I noticed about the art was the strong purple influence in both works and I wanted to bring that range of the spectrum out.



I sent the paint chips via snail mail to the client so she could see them in person and to help better with color matching. I then put together a detailed report on my suggestions for warming up her space.

First, I included images of the current space and her inspiration art:

I next put together a sample board of products and furnishings that I recommended. Because she doesn't have access to the same stores as we do here in the US and many of their items need to be made custom, we agreed that I would pull together my ideas without having to worry about local sourcing - and she would figure out procurement.

One thing missing in her space was the warmth of natural woods. She had a lot of shiny metals and hard ceramic flooring, but the more natural elements were missing. I recommended a bamboo floor in a dark cherry stain to replace the existing ceramic tile, and I did find a local source for the bamboo. The rest: additional lighting in different materials from glass to metal to paper; occasional tables and a selection of rugs and fabrics to add punches of color.


Each item was documented below with links to their sources. While the client wasn't going to be purchasing from these sources, I felt the links provided her with as much information as possible. You can click on the images for larger views if you'd like.



I also included a detailed "description" of how I saw this space and addressed some issues which are personal and I've not included here. And lastly, I provided pages for note taking and measurements. The goal was to provide an easily emailed product that the client can print and take with. I hope you enjoyed my "Virtual" decorating project. If I get any "after" images from her - I'll be sure to post them!




Subscribe to ::Surroundings::

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner