Friday, February 20, 2009

My Inner Pink - Living Room Chronicles

A couple of years ago, Martha Stewart profiled her all pink Maine cottage interior in her magazine. I think this was the point when I really started to think seriously about painting my living room/dining room pink. I also realized that anytime there is a magazine on a newsstand that has a predominantly pink cover - I make a beeline right to it and usually buy it. We need to listen to these visceral reactions!

Because I live in a condo that has vaulted 16' ceilings, I can't just slap up paint to try it out. So, I'm still dealing with all white walls and getting tired of it. I could really use a pick-me-up right now too! I've been slowly morphing from a green, black, white and cranberry color palette to a softer green and pink, with some black and dark stained woods.


This year, for Christmas, I did a pink and gold theme, and loved it!

Last summer, I reupholstered this cane back settee and made the striped tablecloth - and really committed to the pinkier palette.

I've been collecting images of favorite pink rooms in order to get some inspiration about the tone and shade of pink that really appeals to me.


House Beautiful - Mary McDonald design - Benjamin Moore Coral Pink 2003-50. I love this look (well, not the rug, so much). The walls are such a strong, statement pink and the blue/white chinoiserie dishes really pop. But, ultimately, my space is just way too big for such a strong color (for me at least!)


This House Beautiful image (wall color is Pantone's 705-C) has tall ceilings and the lovely French-y feel that I like. But, I think this color is a little bit too chalky.


This House Beautiful image ( 30 days of Color ) is a design by Suzanne Kasler. Gorgeous and it certainly did make the rounds on the blogs. I love how she mixes beige and pink together. (And how easy is that artwork on the wall? Could be just a pretty piece of fabric wrapped around a board!). Very pretty - but it looks like it tilts a little towards the purple.

This Suzanne Kasler dining room (which I first saw on Joni Webb's Cote de Texas) practically defies adjectives it's so beautiful. I could stare at it for days (and may have...). It doesn't have pink walls, rather beige, but the drapes, the upholstery - knee weakening beautiful. However, since I've already committed my upholstery to the greens (and can't afford to reupholster) I do need to stick with putting pink on the walls. But, this palette is tucked away for the future. It will be mine!!



These two images are by Steven Shubel on House Beautiful. Certainly, very pretty. But, the color just seems too... shallow?

I do love this darker pink from Steven Gambrel in Domino Magazine. It seems mature without being old; deep and rich, without being dark. And, it plays off the green quite nicely. But then I think of all the wall space I have, and I start to feel overwhelmed by it all!

This room, from Domino Magazine, uses Benjamin Moore: Pink Lilly. It seems to work nicely with the greens and would probably look very well with my complexion (never underestimate the value that the right paint color has when it comes to how we look!).


This Carlton Varney living room (which actually looks the closest to my own, architecturally) really caught my eye. If you saw it in House Beautiful, you may remember that the colors are richer than they appear in these online photos. With the exception of the floor (mine is dark cherry stained oak), the rest of the palette is very similar to what I already have now.



This space just feels happy and a little bit beacy. Since I live near the ocean, it just seems appropriate.



By the way, have you read House Beautiful's COLORS FOR YOUR HOME? It's a handy little guide that showcases the 300 colors various designers like the best - and why. What colors work best in which rooms. It's a perfect size for throwing in a purse (okay, a large purse) when shopping!





Now, all I need to do is find someone willing to hike up the tall ladder and start painting for me... anyone... anyone.... ?


Check out what Julia - and many other folks - is Hooked On this week.






Subscribe to ::Surroundings::

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner