Saturday, February 20, 2010

Paneled walls - inspiration for a client project

I've been working on a design plan for some clients. Their dining room is small - approximately 13'x11'x7'6"h. A small room can be quite intimate, which can make for a lovely dining experience and I'm looking to really play this up. Since we're looking to accommodate seating for eight, there is no room for additional furniture, aside from the table and chairs. They have two things going for them. There is a deep bay window that's too high for a window seat which will work well as a sidebar when necessary and a built-in china cabinet wall right off the dining room in the kitchen.

The room needs some additional architectural interest since there is little room for decorative detail and I am planning applied moldings over the chair rail to create the feel of paneled walls. The moldings will likely be the same color as the wall, but will just add some oomph and structure and provide a place for smaller hung art and sconces. Here's a round-up of some inspiration images I've been scouting.

  
(I've lost the sources for the above two images, if anyone knows, please let me know)


Bunny Williams design for the Edith Wharton House - my pic taken 2009

 

  

  
These images are so pretty they make me want to weep -  via Trouvais



 
 via Diane James 


  
Carter and Co. design via Michael J. Lee  





Bunny Williams dining room via Diane James



Larry Laslo design via Architect Design  



Timothy Corrigan design via Decorati


Timothy Corrigan design via Decorati

 
Mary Drysdale design via Decorati

And here are my design ideas of two walls.
 

 
With thanks to Carol Ann for her suggestion, I changed the design for the moldings on the elevation above and it's so much better I think (see below). Thanks Carol Ann!

 

The chairs are the Restoration Hardware Martine chairs, but they've sadly changed out the original elegantly finished legs for these rough hewn oakey ones, which has rendered these chairs neither here nor there design wise, in my opinion. So, chairs are still be decided upon, but they give an idea about the direction we're headed in. 

Thoughts?




 Subscribe to ::Surroundings::

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner