Friday, November 13, 2009

Evolution of a floral arrangement




Last week, I wrote about the big gala for the New England Design Hall of Fame. I was lucky enough to snag one of the gorgeous floral arrangements which were done by Winston Flowers.



My camera got a workout with this arrangement! I love the combination of deep red roses, burgandy calla lilies, deep rosy orange lilies, deep red brain flower (is that really the name?? icky), the drapey red flower (don't know the name) and purple/blue/green hydrangea.







So, it's been a week and while most of the flowers in the arrangement are still glorious, there is a kind of tiring out of the arrangement.  So, I was thinking that it was time to disassemble the large arrangement into some smaller ones to kind of freshen things up.

Meanwhile, I popped into a local Salvation army store yesterday and came across this small silverplate flower bowl/candle holder piece that's maybe 8" wide by 6" high. For $4.99 and a little elbow grease (very tarnish) I have a sweet little addition to my silver/floral display collection. 



It also has a handy flower frog set inside.



I'll also be using my silverplate tea pot purchased last year at the Hell's Kitchen Flea market, made famous by Eddie Ross.



And, so I started taking apart the arrangement. It's quite a feat of construction!! Most of the flowers were held in place by a webbing of chicken wire set inside the bowl. Some of the lilies were too short, so they used the little water viles attached to the stems and tucked inside this amazingly dense arrangement.



And, the empty bowl with chicken wire, which I'm going to hold onto for the future.



And here are the results - from one large arrangement has come three smaller ones. And very flowers were actually thrown away.











 

(And for those of you following my kitchen reno, what do you think of the new painted cabinet interiors? I still need to get the shelves painted, but this is a sneak peak of the paint color etc!)




 Subscribe to ::Surroundings::




LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner