Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Chez Moi


Welcome to Christmas at my house! I was slow to get decorated this year and am very late to Julia's Hooked on Houses Holiday House Tour, but at last, just in the nick of time, I finally decked my halls.

We had a big storm in here New England this weekend (so, lot's of time to decorate!) The view from my front door before the plows made it through...


Here is a little vignette in my powder room. The arrangement is a vase filled with gilded walnuts (which I've been using for years in many different ways) and the top of the vase is filled with dried flowers and various decorations kept from floral arrangements.

This light fixture isn't so much a Christmas decoration as a DIY chandelier. I filled a hanging wrought iron basket with a string of white lights and silk ivy, creating a very inexpensive chandi!


I didn't do a Christmas tree this year - actually, I haven't had one in a few years. I love them and love sitting in a room with just the tree glowing. But, I'm not actually here on Christmas and it seems like a lot of work and mess. Instead, I've been doing large wreaths on my two picture windows, with ornaments and ribbons. This year, I decided on a color palette of pink and gold in my big room (living room/dining room).


While I don't have an actual tree, I did manage to decorate a vintage garden topiary form with lights, faux greens with red berries and filled with red cardinal ornaments. This is in the landing of my stairwell in the front foyer. You will see my partially completed garden mural on the walls. (one day I'll get it done!)A little cardinal nestled in the greenery.

Here is an arrangement I made from some gold items. I was stuck alone in the house for48 hours - I started sticking anything sparkly in all available containers!


Lest we forget the meaning of Christmas in our fever to get our houses decorated, here is one of my important possessions - my Nativity set. This was painted by my aunt - Bette Merrill Wasserboehr - when she was working for a ceramicist at the beginning of her career.

Aren't the faces just incredibly precious? I used to say my prayers in front of this set as a little girl. Click on the images to enlarge - the detail in the faces is amazing! Somewhere, I have a rustic wooden manger, but I haven't been able to find it.


Here is my dining area. I kept adding things to my chandelier. Too much? I had a lovely ladies brunch this morning with my two best friends, Beth and Laurel. We do this every year to exchange our gifts.




Aren't these flowers beautiful? I have Flora2000 to thank for generously offering me a gift certificate to try out their service. I ordered these flowers last Wednesday night at about 10:00PM and the next afternoon, they arrived on my door step from a local florist - looking exactly (or better really) as they had on the website.




I made these Victorian ribbon ball ornament (11" dia) for a Christmas showhouse I did a few years ago. I think they look quite festive on my chandelier! It's actually quite easy - use a large styrofoam ball, wrapping various ribbons around and fastening with small pins and then decorative pearl pins. A tassel hangs off the bottom and the ball is hung with matching ribbons.


We had a lovely brunch of mimosa's and quiche and cookies!

Three friends celebrate!
A lovely ham and swiss quiche (with a little touch of nutmeg) was quite tasty!

And, as always, we've got cookies! The trees and bells are mine - the only cookie I make is Martha Stewarts sugar cookies (made with Martha's copper cutters) and decorated with royal icing. I highly recommend the chocolate stars from Trader Joe's. Shortbread covered in dark chocolate - totally yum!
And here are my bffff's - Laurel (l) and Beth (r) both of whom I've known since the 8th grade. They've known each other since kindergarten! Laurel is opening a "Wizard of Oz" pop up book by Robert Sabuda. It's amazing!! Laurel, now a P.R. professional, was Dorothy in our h.s. production of "W of O". Beth, now a professional opera singer, was someone from Emerald City who sang a solo (I remember her wearing a very tight green dress.) I was audience member. Let's just say, my grades weren't where my parents expected them to be and I was banned from doing extra-cirriculars like drama for most of my junior year! Ahh... good times...


Anyway - I wish you a holiday of riches - those of life long friends, family who loves you and a home to be yourself in.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Happy Kwanza and good Solstice. No matter what you celebrate - may you have loved ones to celebrate with!

xxoo,
Linda

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner